10 series of the show = a GOLDMINE of information.
1. The cast each went from earning $22,000 per episode to earning $1 million each per episode. And they were the first TV cast to negotiate as a group. If one was offered a raise, they’d turn it down unless everyone else got the same. #Friends
2. Monica’s apartment number changed mid-way through the first series. To begin with it had the number 5 on it, but producers eventually realised that didn’t make sense because Monica’s apartment was on a higher floor, so they changed it to number 20. Chandler’s apartment also got changed from number 4 to number 19.
3. Matt Le Blanc was going to be a carpenter before he snapped up the role of Joey, following in his Grandfather’s footsteps. He could build us a staircase any time ?
4. And Matthew Perry had been set for a pro tennis career before he decided to concentrate on acting.
5. Hank Azaria, who played Phoebe’s geeky boyfriend David, was so desperate to be cast in the show that he auditioned for the role of Joey twice before he eventually got a part. Bless him.
6. The six-piece cast we know and love was originally meant to be four.Phoebe and Chandler were initially created as supporting characters, before show creators realised what a MASSIVE mistake that would’ve been.
7. Reviewers HATED Friends when it was first released.when it was first released. One TIME review called the characters “dysfunctional morons” and another from People rated it “D+”. Oh, if only they knew…
8. Courteney Cox was the only one of the six who never got an Emmy nomination for the show. Could they have BEEN any more harsh? Just because Monica’s the most annoying character…
9. Nobody wanted Joey and Rachel to get together, not even the cast. Don’t worry, it wasn’t just you. Matt Le Blanc told Vanity Fair he’d thought the whole plotline was “wildly inappropriate” back in 2012 (you’re telling us). But even when the cast members told show creators Marta Kauffman and David Crane about how weird it felt, they insisted it would go ahead.
10. Just before the show premiered the gang went on a group trip to Vegas (sounds familiar), which director James Burrows told them would be one last chance to hang out anonymously. “Once the show comes on the air, you guys will never be able to go anywhere without being hounded,” he apparently said. And wasn’t he right; they’ve had autograph books and cameras thrown at them ever since.
11. Basically everyone thought the character of Chandler was gay. Even Lisa Kudrow. But David Crane put a stop to that rumour, telling Entertainment Weekly in 1997 “No, Chandler isn’t gay. Nor will he be gay.”
12. The storyline of Phoebe thinking her dead mother had been reincarnated as a cat was thought up by Marta Kauffman. Apparently all the show’s writers thought it was really weird, but because she pitched it in a group meeting shortly after the death of her own mother, nobody felt comfortable enough to say no.
13. The role of Ross was actually written for David Schwimmer, unlike the rest of the cast. Executive producer Kevin Bright had worked with him previously and so had his voice in mind when creating the paleontologist character. TBF, we couldn’t imagine anyone else pulling off Ross so well.
14. On the opening credits of ‘The One After Vegas’, all cast members were given the last name ‘Arquette’, because Courteney Cox had just got married to David Arquette and it was the first name her shiny new double-barreled surname appeared in the show. Cute.
15. The series ALMOST ended at series 9, and we’d have had Jennifer Aniston to blame for that. By the time the show was coming to an end, Aniston was essentially the most famous cast member with a bunch of big films under belt (being married to Brad Pitt didn’t do any harm, either). She was apparently cagey about carrying on for a further season, reportedly questioning “how much more of Rachel do I have in me?” Luckily she saw sense and gave us all closure.
Thank you GREATLY to this Quora feed for all these nuggets of information you can almost certainly whack out to your mates during your next Friends binge.